2018 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
Jeff Reese Named Recipient of 2018 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
TAPPI is pleased to announce that Jeff Reese has been named winner of the prominent Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award. Mr. Reese works for International Paper at its Cincinnati Technology Center as Manager – Paper Solutions, responsible for Paper PRO assessments to utilize cross-functional teams of subject matter experts from IP and suppliers to identify significant papermaking cost-saving opportunities, including a recent study at Herman Joachim’s original mill in Bogalusa, LA.
Reese graduated from NC State University Summa Cum Laude in 1985 with degrees in Pulp and Paper Technology and Chemical Engineering. His senior project was to develop TAPPI Technical Information Paper (TIP) 0404-33 “Dryer Section Performance Monitoring.” He has since been task group chair for multiple revisions of 8 additional TIPs and served as a task group member on 19 other TIPs. He has been active with the Water Removal Committee, Papermakers Committee, and the Engineering and Paper and Board Divisions since 1986 while working for Poyry-BEK, Valmet-Enerdry, Georgia-Pacific, and two stints with IP. He has served through the chair rotations of the Water Removal Committee, Papermakers Committee, and Engineering Division Council and currently serves as the WRC Drying Subcommittee Chair, Paper and Board Division Scholarship Chair, and Papermaking Specialists Subcommittee Chair.
Reese has served as a Track Manager at every Papermaking or PaperCon conference since 2006 and will be leading a track on Papermaking Innovations at PaperCon 2018. His favorite presentation was at TAPPI’s 100th anniversary celebration at PaperCon 2015 when he shared the podium with his father, Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medalist Dick Reese, and his daughter, NC State Paper Science and Engineering graduate and IP engineer Diana Reese, on “Back to the Future in Papermaking – Three Generations of Perspective.” Jeff was named a TAPPI Fellow in 2004 and received the Engineering Division Technical Award and Beloit Prize in 2007, the Paper and Board Division Technical Award and Harris O. Ware Prize in 2010, and the Paper and Board Division Leadership and Service Award in 2016.
In addition to his technical areas of expertise in paper machine optimization, energy conservation, drying, steam and condensate systems, and ventilation, Reese is passionate about recruiting and training engineers for the Pulp and Paper Industry, working with the GP Entry-Level Engineering Program since 1996 and then the IP REACH program since 2004, leading recruiting efforts at his alma mater and helping develop and present training sessions for over 900 entry-level engineers. He remains an active member and contributor to the NC State Pulp and Paper Foundation.
The award will officially be presented April 16 at TAPPI’s annual PaperCon conference in Charlotte, NC, USA.
About the Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award:
The Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award was established to recognize an individual for voluntary leadership and support. The recipient’s contributions have significantly and demonstrably advanced the mission and vision of the Association and are apparent in specific improvements made in the Association’s internal or external endeavors.
TAPPI is the leading association for the worldwide pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and converting industries and publisher of Paper360°, Tissue360° and TAPPI Journal. Through information exchange, events, trusted content and networking opportunities, TAPPI helps members elevate their performance by providing solutions that lead to better, faster and more cost-effective ways of doing business. It has provided management training and networking to the industry’s leaders for more than 100 years.
Inside this Section
- Coating and Graphic Arts Division Past Winners
- Corrugated Packaging Past Award Winners
- Environmental Past Award Winners
- Engineering Division Past Winners
- Finishing & Converting Past Award Winners
- International Flexible Packaging and Extrusion Division Past Award Winners
- Nanotechnology Division Past Award Winners
- Nonwovens Division Past Award Winners
- Paper & Board Division Past Award Winners
- PIMA Past Award Winners
- Process Control Division Past Award Winners
- Process & Product Quality Division Past Award Winners
- Pulp Manufacture Past Award Winners
- Research and Development Past Award Winners
- Women in Industry Woman of the Year Award
- TAPPI’s 2023 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- TAPPI’s 2022 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- TAPPI’s 2021 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- TAPPI’s 2020 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- TAPPI’s 2019 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- TAPPI’s 2018 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- TAPPI’s 2017 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- 2023 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award Winner
- 2022 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award Winner
- 2021 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award Winner
- 2020 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award Winner
- 2019 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- 2018 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- 2017 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- Membership Anniversaries