WMU Coating Course
WMU Coating Course
Kalamazoo, Michigan USA
Tuesday, July 28, 2020 to Thursday, July 30, 2020
July 28-30, 2020
2020 WMU Coating Course
TAPPI is partnering with Western Michigan University to help deliver a course designed designed for the newcomer to the paper coating industry, as well as those with experience who wish to broaden and update their knowledge and understanding of the basics of coating materials, processes and coating and coated substrate formulation/design.
Course instructors will include WMU faculty and industry experts with decades of experience in coating and papermaking.
Hundreds of papermakers and suppliers have taken WMU’s coating course since its inception. The course features three days of classroom instruction, tours of WMU’s pilot facilities, and networking opportunities.
Individuals taking this course should leave with the following understanding:
- Coated paper and paperboard grades overview
- Coated paper applications—Why paper and paperboard are coated
- Barrier coating of paper and paperboard
- Principles of coating formulations to meet desired end-use requirements
- Raw materials used in the preparation of paper coatings including pigments, binders, and additives
- Coating rheology
- Nanoparticles and use in coatings
- Coating equipment and processes
- Drying of coated paper and paperboard
- Calendering and finishing of coated paper and paperboard
- Coating preparation methods and equipment including curtain coater technology
- Printing and imaging processes and demands on coated paper and paper board
- The future of digital print and demands on substrate
- Coated paper and packaging outlook/trends
About Western Michigan University
Western Michigan University is a leader in papermaking, recycling, coating and sustainable packaging research and applications, as well as a leading provider of undergraduate and graduate engineers and scientists. WMU has certified hundreds of products as repulpable and recyclable using industry agreed-upon protocols.