Developing TAPPI Standards
Standards are of the utmost importance in the pulp, paper and converting industries as they have a serious impact on business and trade. As a member, you are eligible to get involved in the process of developing new Standards for the industry.
How to Propose new Standards
Are you interested in proposing a new Standard? We encourage members to consult our complete list of subject categories for Standards below, or view the PDF list.
If you have a general idea for a Standard, you can complete the New Idea Submission Form. We will review your idea and identify the right committee or group to work on your suggestion.
If you already further along, you can send an initial draft to [email protected]. A Standards manager will then work with you to develop a Standard-Specific Interest Group (SSIG) for the new Standard. This will set in motion the development and review process, which is described in the Standards Guidelines.
TAPPI Standards Guidelines
If you are at the writing stage, or if you are the chairperson of a Standards working group, you can download a copy of our Regulations and Style Guidelines.
In this manual, you will find:
- How to write a Standard Test Method using proper terminology and format
- How to write TAPPI Standard Specifications, Glossaries and Guidelines using proper terminology and format
- What requirements exist for precision statements in Official and Provisional Test Methods
- A checklist to make sure all required sections have been included in a Standard draft
- How working group chairperson, working groups and Standard-Specific Interest Groups (SSIGs) fit into the process of preparing a Standard
- How the balloting process works
- How to resolve comments and negative votes
Bending resistance (stiffness) of paper (Taber-type tester in 0 to 10 Taber stiffness unit configuration), Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 566 om-15
Basis weight of fiber glass mats, Test Method T 1011 om-15
Drainage Time of Pulp for Insulating Board, Test Method T 1002 cm-00 WITHDRAWN
Forming Insulating Boards for Physical Tests, Test Method T 1001 cm-00 WITHDRAWN
Loss on ignition of fiber glass mats , Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 1013 om-15
Sample location for fiber glass mat sheets, TAPPI/ANSI Test Method T 1007 sp-15
Tensile strength and elongation at break for fiber glass mats, Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 1009 om-10
Acid-insoluble ash in wood, pulp, paper, and paperboard, Test Method T 244 cm-11
Acid-insoluble lignin in wood and pulp, Test Method T 222 om-11
Alpha-, beta- and gamma-cellulose in pulp, Test Method T 203 cm-09