Mohawk Fine Papers Announces ‘Make With Mohawk’ Campaign
Mohawk Fine Papers, Inc., (Cohoes, N.Y., USA) one of North America’s largest privately-owned manufacturer of fine papers, envelopes, and specialty materials for printing, is excited to kick off its new Make with Mohawk campaign at the 2019 AIGA Design Conference in Pasadena, CA.
The Make with Mohawk campaign is a multi-faceted on + offline activation made up of three parts:
- Make with Mohawk Print Sets: A three-part series of inspirational prints featuring the work of nine designers and artists on carefully chosen Mohawk papers using distinct printing processes.
- Make with Mohawk Printshop: A new online resource that challenges designers to create their own work using the same papers + processes shown in the Make with Mohawk Print Sets.
- The Mohawk Show: An opportunity for designers to be recognized for their best work on Mohawk and be rewarded with Mohawk Maker Grants.
"The new Make with Mohawk campaign does two things," said Chris Harrold, SVP Marketing + Creative at Mohawk, "it offers creatives the impetus to make and rewards great work with the opportunity to make more. We’d like to think we are creating a kind of virtuous circle of making."
"As a creative community we are overwhelmed with inspiration daily, but many of us feel short on something just as important: Opportunity," says Caleb Kozlowski, Creative Director at Hybrid Design. "Inspiration without making is like unrequited love: Inspiration gives us direction, but it’s not enough—we need to participate in the graphic conversations we admire. The Make with Mohawk Campaign is an answer to this struggle: It pairs inspiration with the opportunity to freely make something—taking control back from the brands, directors, and cultural gatekeepers that often constrain us, and handing it back to the designer."
Make with Mohawk Print Sets
The Make with Mohawk Print Set series is designed to emphasize material + process by featuring the work of nine visual artists on carefully selected Mohawk papers paired with three distinctly different printing processes. Throughout 2019, this series will show:
- Print Set 01: Mohawk Superfine + Risograph: Available now
- Print Set 02: Mohawk Via + HP Indigo Digital Printing: Summer 2019 Release
- Print Set 03: Crane’s Lettra + Letterpress: Fall 2019 Release
Print Set 01: Mohawk Superfine + Risograph, will be introduced at the 2019 AIGA Design Conference. Printed on three shades of Mohawk Superfine, this impeccably perfect paper complements the delightful imperfections of Risograph, with its slight misregistration, limited ink colors and irregular ink coverage.
Print Set 01 features the work of Lab Partners, WE ARE BÜRO BÜRO and Hybrid Design and is a powerful demonstration of materials and method serving design intent.
Make with Mohawk Printshop
The Make with Mohawk Printshop lowers the barrier to entry for making by creating an online destination for designers to try a new printing technique and take their ideas from PDF to printed object. Inspired by the Make with Mohawk Print Sets, the Make with Mohawk Printshop is an easy-to-use interface powered by TOG.ink.
TOG.ink, operated by The Occasions Group (owned by parent company Taylor Corporation) specializes in custom print, social stationery and premium finishing capabilities, unparalleled in the industry.
According to Janet Westerlund, VP Marketing at The Occasions Group, "The Make with Mohawk Printshop was built to help designers experience the powerful connection between design and print. Like our friends at Mohawk, we believe that easy access to new print techniques on beautiful paper is the best way to make this happen."
Throughout 2019, The Make with Mohawk Printshop will highlight three unique "Maker Missions" with the challenge to bring their work to life using Risograph, Letterpress and Digital printing.
Each printing process will be offered in three form factors: prints, cards and matching envelopes.
- Maker Mission 01: Superfine + Risograph: Available Now
- Maker Mission 02: Mohawk Via + HP Indigo Digital Printing: Summer 2019 Release
- Maker Mission 03: Crane’s Lettra + Letterpress: Fall 2019 Release
The Mohawk Show
The Mohawk Show is a call for entries driven by a simple idea: Great work deserves to be celebrated and rewarded. The Mohawk Show invites designers to submit projects throughout 2019 for review by a panel of six judges from differing design disciplines. Mohawk’s goal is to help great makers keep on making with seven unique "Maker Grant" awards which recognize great work with the opportunity to make more.
"Every designer wants to be recognized for their work and have it stand in the company of great design," says Chris Harrold, "The new Mohawk Show does that by rewarding amazing projects with the chance to make a passion project a portfolio piece."
- Call for Entries – Call for Entries opens April 15, 2019 and ends January 15, 2020. Entries submitted must be printed projects created entirely on any combination of Mohawk’s range of fine papers or Mohawk’s growing portfolio of Specialty Digital Materials.
- Judging & Curation – A team of esteemed judges will review submissions according to a Curation Criteria focused on the following considerations: Object Quality, Material Quality, Paper as the Fifth Color, Pairing Texture, Beauty and Paper + Process.
- Awards – The highest scoring submissions will be rewarded with Maker Grants that facilitate the creation of more outstanding work by freelance graphic designers, illustrators, in-house and agency creatives alike. The Maker Grants will include a grand prize print residency and six Judges’ Choice Grants with select Mohawk print partners.
Enter The Mohawk Show online at mohawkconnects.com/themohawkshow