TAPPI to Present Highest Honors in Virtual Ceremonies
Throughout the month of June, TAPPI has been virtually celebrating the honors and accomplishments of its members who were to be recognized during a ceremony at PaperCon 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the conference was rescheduled to April 25-28, 2021 in Atlanta, Ga.
“TAPPI truly appreciates all that our members do,” said TAPPI President and CEO Larry N. Montague. “They are the heartbeat of the organization, and no matter whether in person or virtually, we are gratified to recognize their extraordinary efforts.”
The virtual ceremony will take place at 8:00 p.m. (EST) on June 23, 2020 and will celebrate the winners of TAPPI Board-level awards, the association’s highest honors.
Everyone is welcome to attend, but registration is required.
Mark Lewis, CEO, Sustainable Fiber Technologies (SFT) and Phoenix Pulp and Polymer, has been named winner of the prestigious Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award.
Gordon Bugg, TAPPI Fellow, has been named winner of the acclaimed Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award. Mr. Bugg works for Kemira Oyj as a Senior Engineer.
Andrew N. Chorney Sr. has been named winner of the distinguished Paul W. Magnabosco Outstanding Local Section Award. He is Technical Services Manager for Essity Professional Hygiene North America, LLC in Cherokee, Ala.
Steve Voorhees has been named the winner of the PIMA Executive of the Year Award. He is CEO of WestRock and is also a member of the Board of Directors.
The Young Professionals of the Year Award recognizes aspiring, young leaders in the global forest products, pulp, paper, packaging, tissue, and related industries. Eligible nominees are age 35 or younger with less than 10 years of industry experience. For 2020, TAPPI has chosen five recipients based on their outstanding leadership, community service, and problem-solving contributions to scientific or engineering projects.
- Peyton Clifton, Mechanical Project Engineer, Domtar
- John DeJarnette, Senior Researcher, WestRock
- John Edwards, Operations Superintendent, Domtar
- Natasha Melton, Senior Researcher, WestRock
- Niki Wanserski, Shift Supervisor, Neenah Inc.
Each year, the TAPPI Journal (TJ) Editorial Board honors the best of TJ content by nominating and voting for the TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper, which is ultimately selected based on the scientific merit, innovation, creativity, and clarity of the nominated papers.
This year’s topic is related to the recovery cycle, and the paper title and authors, all from the University of Toronto, are: “The Solubility of Calcium Carbonate in Green Liquor Handling Systems,”— Alisha Giglio, Vladimiros G. Papangelakis, and Honghi Tran.
On June 25, 2020 TAPPI will hold an invitation-only virtual ceremony to name the following individuals as TAPPI Fellows:
- John Bergin, Owner, Technical and Investor Consulting, LLC
- Fernando Bertolucci, Chief Technology and Innovation Officer, Suzano
- Jim Brewster, Retired. Former Senior Project Advisor, Irving Pulp & Paper, Limited.
- Donald Haag, Retired. Former Vice President of Manufacturing Services, Packaging Corporation of America
- Mark Lewis, CEO of Sustainable Fiber Technologies (SFT) and Phoenix Pulp and Polymer and recipient of the 2020 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- Przemyslaw Pruszynski, Ph.D., Consultant, Pruszynski Paper Chemistry Consulting, LLC.
- Jack Tippett, Ph.D., Senior Process Control Consultant, Emerson Automation Solutions.
- Angela Wensley, Ph.D., P.E., Retired. Former Consultant, Angela Wensley Engineering Inc
For many TAPPI Awards, nominations are open until August 1. Several national-level awards include generous honorariums funded by private donation. Learn more about the awards and nomination process. Prospective authors from academic and research institutions, as well as speakers who present scientific papers at TAPPI conferences, are encouraged to submit their research for peer review and consideration for publication in TJ.