How Many Times Have You Heard the Term Found Money?
During a recent early morning walk around Peachtree Corners, Ga., I found what I thought was a small pile of leaves. To my surprise, it was a waded up pile of paper that included $78 in small bills. No wallet or ID.
I looked around both corners but no one was walking or anywhere near. This made me rethink my attention span when I have taken the same path before. I began to wonder how many other times I might have missed the opportunity to "Find Money."
Missing money opportunities sometimes hits us right in the face. We often continue to do the same ole things, in the same ole ways, day after day, in the same ole workplace.
Last month, we were honored to have Gray Campbell and Roger Brown from Power Systems Group (PSG) pay us a visit at TAPPI’s World Headquarters in Peachtree Corners. Simona Marcellus, TAPPI director of marketing, and I spent some quality time updating them on TAPPI as well as hearing some of PSG’s success stories.
In the photo above are (l-r) Roger Brown, Larry N. Montague, Gray Campbell.
These folks sincerely, "practice what they preach," when it comes to the concept of "Found Money." They work with clients to reduce their energy costs in all types of manufacturing settings as well as large office buildings, universities, and hospitals, to name a few.
Power Systems Group was founded by Gray and Roger back in 1996. Having worked at industrial facilities and utility-related firms, they wanted to help bring value and understanding to the utility industry, the regulation, and de-regulation of which was making industrial energy saving more complicated than it needed to be.
Today, PSG’s team of more than 40 professionals serves clients in all areas of the U.S. These pros work closely with their clients in concert with their respective utilities to find solutions to both short term and long-term energy savings opportunities.
Are they qualified? You bet. Prior to forming PSG, Gray Campbell served as VP of Natural Gas Services at a major energy consulting firm. He also initially established and served as manager of SCANA Energy’s Industrial Gas Client Program in Georgia. Gray brings with him a unique understanding of a consultant’s and utility company’s viewpoint to the negotiation.
Roger Brown managed energy cost optimization and utility negotiations as a project leader at one of the largest aluminum extrusion plants in the world. He has senior level experience developing numerous competitive projects, establishing new benefits for industrial energy saving clients. Roger brings a utility service buyer’s mindset as well as a talent to coordinate project development completion to a customer’s satisfaction.
They shared with me several case studies that demonstrated savings at one paper mill of more than 16% ($680,000) per year, and a recycled board mill where they achieved annual savings of 28% ($850,000).
Other case studies:
A project management company for a large office complex that resulted in a $578,000 refund and an ongoing 10% savings each year
Apartment management company saved up to 50% a year on several of their complexes
One of their hospital clients reported savings of more than 25% annually.
(By the way, these are no-cost-risk situations. They are paid on a gain-share basis.)
"Found Money" may be right under your feet.
More information on PSG is available online, or call 404-355-4445.
More information on TAPPI also is available online.
"There are two types of people in our industry—TAPPI members and those who should be."
Until next time...Larry
Inside this Section
- TAPPI Academy Announces Addition of Web and Winding Courses to eLearning Offerings
- TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
- Master Papermaking Additives to Gain Competitive Advantage and Better Meet Customers’ Needs
- Film Extrusion Manual, Third Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2020
- TAPPI Awards Highest Honors for 2020
- Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition Now Available From TAPPI Press
- Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Industry News
- April 2019 Committee of the Month - Runnability Planning Committee
- Mentor Match Signup - Spring 2019
- A Guide to the Nanotechnology used in the Average Home
- 65 North American Companies Remove Go Paperless - Go Green Claims
- 5,000 journals articles and conference papers now available to search
- 2017 starts with sales soaring for paper diaries, notebooks and planners
- 20 never seen before packaging designs
- Better Together Podcast