Riddle Me This!
Riddle Me This!
What do the year 1934, Audio Oscillators, a “Mickey Mouse” type company, a coin toss and $530 have in common with a very well-known 76 year old company that employs 317,500 people and does business in 170 countries? And why is TAPPI talking about it?
The company, I won’t give you the name right away, but their initials are HP.
On Thursday, January 8, 2015, Kristi Ledbetter, Eric Fletty and I had the privilege of having two gentlemen from one of TAPPI’s newest Sustaining Members pay a visit to TAPPI’s world headquarters in Peachtree Corners, GA.
Yishai Amir, Vice President & General Manager, HP Graphic Solutions Business-Americas, and Stephen Shannon, National Sales Manager, Industrial Packaging Solutions-Graphics Solutions Business, stopped in to see us. They wanted to tell us what they had to offer the industry and wanted to know about TAPPI’s Global footprint.
Their group produces high speed digital printers for the Corrugated, Folding Carton, Flexible Packaging and Tape & Label industries around the world.
They have a state-of-the-art “Experience Center” in our backyard, located in Alpharetta, GA. (By the way they love to have customers and prospects come by for a tour.)
Some of the discussions centered on HP’s 12 month or less ROI on their Digital Printers, reduced inventory of printing plates, and the fact that they manufacture their own inks and print heads, eliminating print waste.
HP also stated that they can co-exist with other types of current printing methods in a plant setting. They currently have 6,000 HP Indigo digital presses installed in over 4,000 customer locations in 120 countries.
With more than a half dozen models to choose from, they feel they can offer their customers plenty of choices for custom graphic solutions. HP likes to say, “We solve today’s problems, while inventing the future.”
Now back to the riddle. 1934 is the year that Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard became friends. Audio Oscillators were one of the first product lines they made. The “Mickey Mouse” type company also happened to be their first customer. Walt Disney ordered 5 units or so to enhance the sound in his animated movie Fantasia. The coin toss was to determine whose name would go first for the name of the company. (Can you imagine calling the company PH?) The $530 was all the working capital they had to start the company (Including the coin that they tossed). Why is TAPPI talking about them? Because their state-of-the-art product line can make an impact on TAPPI members in the corrugated, folding carton, flexible packaging, Tape & Label and even our Tissue Division.
Yishai just celebrated his 20th year with HP this month. Both he and Stephen are industry veterans; however, their passion for their company and their ever-improving product lines comes shining through like two kids in a candy store.
In the photo above are (L-R): Stephen Shannon, Larry N. Montague and Yishai Amir
For more information on HP Graphic Solutions business go to www.hp.com/go/indigo
For more information on TAPPI go to www.tappi.org
There are two types of people in our industry; TAPPI members and those who should be.
Until next time . . .
Inside this Section
- TAPPI Academy Announces Addition of Web and Winding Courses to eLearning Offerings
- TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
- Master Papermaking Additives to Gain Competitive Advantage and Better Meet Customers’ Needs
- Film Extrusion Manual, Third Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2020
- TAPPI Awards Highest Honors for 2020
- Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition Now Available From TAPPI Press
- Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Industry News
- April 2019 Committee of the Month - Runnability Planning Committee
- Mentor Match Signup - Spring 2019
- A Guide to the Nanotechnology used in the Average Home
- 65 North American Companies Remove Go Paperless - Go Green Claims
- 5,000 journals articles and conference papers now available to search
- 2017 starts with sales soaring for paper diaries, notebooks and planners
- 20 never seen before packaging designs
- Better Together Podcast