Developing TAPPI Standards
Standards are of the utmost importance in the pulp, paper and converting industries as they have a serious impact on business and trade. As a member, you are eligible to get involved in the process of developing new Standards for the industry.
How to Propose new Standards
Are you interested in proposing a new Standard? We encourage members to consult our complete list of subject categories for Standards below, or view the PDF list.
If you have a general idea for a Standard, you can complete the New Idea Submission Form. We will review your idea and identify the right committee or group to work on your suggestion.
If you already further along, you can send an initial draft to [email protected]. A Standards manager will then work with you to develop a Standard-Specific Interest Group (SSIG) for the new Standard. This will set in motion the development and review process, which is described in the Standards Guidelines.
TAPPI Standards Guidelines
If you are at the writing stage, or if you are the chairperson of a Standards working group, you can download a copy of our Regulations and Style Guidelines.
In this manual, you will find:
- How to write a Standard Test Method using proper terminology and format
- How to write TAPPI Standard Specifications, Glossaries and Guidelines using proper terminology and format
- What requirements exist for precision statements in Official and Provisional Test Methods
- A checklist to make sure all required sections have been included in a Standard draft
- How working group chairperson, working groups and Standard-Specific Interest Groups (SSIGs) fit into the process of preparing a Standard
- How the balloting process works
- How to resolve comments and negative votes
Low time commitment opportunity to shape the industry and share your knowledge.
Silver tarnishing by paper and paperboard, Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 444 om-12
Zinc and Cadmium in Paper, Test Method T 438 cm-06
Thickness (caliper of paper, paperboard, and combined board, Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 411 om-15
Copper number of pulp, paper, and paperboard , Test Method T 430 cm-09
Water resistance of sized paper and paperboard (dry indicator method), Test Method T 433 cm-12
Dirt in paper and paperboard, Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 437 om-21
Acid-soluble iron in paper, Test Method T 434 cm-10
Alpha-cellulose in paper, Test Method T 429 cm-10
Water absorptiveness of sized (non-bibulous) paper, paperboard, and corrugated fiberboard (Cobb test),TAPPI/ANSI T 441 om-20
Water absorptiveness of sized (non-bibulous) paper, paperboard, and corrugated fiberboard (Cobb test), TAPPI/ANSI T 441 om-20
Inside this Section
- Alkaline Pulping
- Building and Industrial Mat
- Chemical Properties
- Extrusion Coating
- Fiberboard Shipping Containers
- Fillers and Pigments
- Microbiology and Microbial Technology
- Optical Properties
- P&PQ General
- Physical Properties
- Printing and Imaging
- Pulp Properties
- Sulfite and Semichemical Pulping
- Water Removal
- Quality and Standards Management Committee
- Standards Review
- ISO TC 6: Paper, Board, and Pulp