Developing TAPPI Standards
Standards are of the utmost importance in the pulp, paper and converting industries as they have a serious impact on business and trade. As a member, you are eligible to get involved in the process of developing new Standards for the industry.
How to Propose new Standards
Are you interested in proposing a new Standard? We encourage members to consult our complete list of subject categories for Standards below, or view the PDF list.
If you have a general idea for a Standard, you can complete the New Idea Submission Form. We will review your idea and identify the right committee or group to work on your suggestion.
If you already further along, you can send an initial draft to [email protected]. A Standards manager will then work with you to develop a Standard-Specific Interest Group (SSIG) for the new Standard. This will set in motion the development and review process, which is described in the Standards Guidelines.
TAPPI Standards Guidelines
If you are at the writing stage, or if you are the chairperson of a Standards working group, you can download a copy of our Regulations and Style Guidelines.
In this manual, you will find:
- How to write a Standard Test Method using proper terminology and format
- How to write TAPPI Standard Specifications, Glossaries and Guidelines using proper terminology and format
- What requirements exist for precision statements in Official and Provisional Test Methods
- A checklist to make sure all required sections have been included in a Standard draft
- How working group chairperson, working groups and Standard-Specific Interest Groups (SSIGs) fit into the process of preparing a Standard
- How the balloting process works
- How to resolve comments and negative votes
Physical testing of pulp handsheets, Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 220 sp-10
Preparation of mechanical pulps for testing, Test Method T 262 sp-18
Preparation of wood for chemical analysis, Test Method T 264 cm-07
Sampling and preparing wood for analysis, Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 257 sp-14
Sampling and testing wood pulp shipments for moisture, Test Method T 210 cm-13
Screening of pulp (Somerville-type equipment), Test Method TAPPI/ANSI T 275 sp-18
Silicates and silica in pulp (wet ash method), Test Method T 245 cm-07
Solvent Extractives of Wood and Pulp, Test Method T 204 cm-17
Species identification of nonwood plant fibers, TAPPI/ANSI Test Method T 259 om-15
Specific external surface of pulp, Test Method T 226 cm-11