Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
ATLANTA (October 1, 2019) – A new, practical reference is now available for pulping engineers and operators involved with black liquor evaporator operations and troubleshooting.
Published by TAPPI Press, Black Liquor Evaporation is the first comprehensive book to deal solely with the topic and is intended to be used as a reference for process-related aspects of evaporator design by novices and experts alike in pulp mill engineering and operations.
Edited by William J. (Jim) Frederick, Jr., Ph.D. and Nikolai De Martini, Ph.D., this book brings together knowledge and data on key areas in evaporation including design principles for evaporation equipment, relevant flow and heat transfer behavior in two-phase flow, black liquor properties relevant to flow and heat transfer in evaporators, auxiliary processes (tall oil soap recovery, fiber removal, condensate segregation, foul condensate stripping, MeOH purification, and NCG collection and incineration); evaporator scaling; and projected needs for future developments in evaporation technology.
Frederick is well known for his 40-plus year’s industrial experience and research focused on chemicals and energy from biomass-containing industrial residues, mainly kraft black liquor, with emphasis on pyrolysis and gasification research and technology development.
De Martini is an Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto focusing on research relevant to chemical recovery and renewable energy. Prior to joining U of T, he worked as a senior researcher at Åbo Akademi University at the Laboratory of Inorganic Chemistry and at the Institute of Paper Science and Technology (IPST) at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Contributing authors include:
- David T. Clay, Ph.D., retired, former senior process consultant, Jacobs Engineering
- Howard Jeff Empie, Ph.D., retired, former professor of Chemical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- C. Douglas Foran, Ph.D., recovery engineer, Arizona Chemical Co.
- Jarmo Kaila, general manager, recovery and power, Andritz Pulp & Paper
- Ben Lin, P.Eng., vice president, products, A. H. Lundberg Systems Ltd.
- Richard Y. Marr, retired, former evaporator specialist, Richard Y Marr & Assoc. Inc.
Black Liquor Evaporation is available for $125 for TAPPI Members; $163 for non-members. The book will available for purchase at the TAPPI Pulping, Engineering, Environmental, Recycling and Sustainability (PEERS) Conference, October 27 - 30, 2019 in St. Louis, Mo. Orders can be placed online or through TAPPI’s Member Connection Center, 1-800-332-8686 (US).
TAPPI is the leading association for the worldwide pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and converting industries and publisher of Paper360°, Tissue360° and TAPPI Journal. Through information exchange, events, trusted content and networking opportunities, TAPPI helps members elevate their performance by providing solutions that lead to better, faster and more cost-effective ways of doing business. It has provided management training and networking to the industry’s leaders for more than 100 years. For more information, visit TAPPI’s website.
Inside this Section
- TAPPI Journal Awards Two Best Research Papers for 2020
- New TAPPI Board of Directors and Officers Announced
- TAPPI Announces 2020 Engineering Division Technical Award and Beloit Prize Winner
- TAPPI Academy Announces Addition of Web and Winding Courses to eLearning Offerings
- TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
- Master Papermaking Additives to Gain Competitive Advantage and Better Meet Customers’ Needs
- Film Extrusion Manual, Third Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2020
- TAPPI Awards Highest Honors for 2020
- Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition Now Available From TAPPI Press
- Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Lime Kilns and Recausticizing: The Forgotten Part of a Kraft Mill Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Industry News
- April 2019 Committee of the Month - Runnability Planning Committee
- Mentor Match Signup - Spring 2019
- A Guide to the Nanotechnology used in the Average Home
- 65 North American Companies Remove Go Paperless - Go Green Claims
- 5,000 journals articles and conference papers now available to search
- 2017 starts with sales soaring for paper diaries, notebooks and planners
- 20 never seen before packaging designs
- Better Together Podcast