WestRock’s Director-Research and Innovation Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2022 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
TAPPI is pleased to announce that Peter Hart, Ph.D., Director-Research and Innovation, WestRock, has been named winner of the prestigious Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award.
Dr. Hart, a TAPPI Fellow, is one of the association’s most prolific authors, having published more than 100 peer-reviewed technical articles and edited and co-authored three textbooks for TAPPI PRESS.
A TAPPI member since 1981, he has been in the leadership ranks of both the Southeastern and Gulf Coast Local Sections. He served in every leadership position on the Alkaline Pulping and Bleaching Committee and on the Pulp Manufacturing Division.
A TAPPI Journal (TJ) Editorial Board Member for 20 years, he served one term as TJ Assistant Editor and recently completed his second of two terms as the journal’s Editor-in-Chief. Hart also served on TAPPI’s Board of Directors.
He earned his Bachelor of Science from the University of Maine (UMaine) majoring in both Chemical Engineering and Pulp and Paper Technology. While at UMaine, he spent two terms as a co-op for Boise Cascade in Rumford, ME and a summer working for Container Corporation of America in Philadelphia, PA.
After obtaining an MS in Chemical Engineering from UMaine, Hart worked for the university and assisted with the relocation of a pilot paper machine and on other various projects. Hart then moved to Atlanta, GA, to get a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology. His dissertation was on the formation and release of AOX during kraft pulp bleaching.
Upon completion of his Ph.D., Hart joined Westvaco (later MeadWestvaco, MWV, and now WestRock) as a Research Chemical Engineer and worked on various optimization, cost reduction, and cluster rule compliance projects. He also worked on batch digester over-pressurization issues and fundamental understanding projects along with material and energy balance models for various mills.
Hart then stepped into production roles including pulp mill superintendent, process engineering manager, and technical assistant to the mill manager. He returned to R&D in 2002 working on multiple mill improvement efforts collaborating with vendors, universities, outside research consortia, and various government agencies. He then worked as an individual contributor for several years before being chosen to help lead the corporate R&D structure for the company.
Over the course of his 29-year career at WestRock, Hart has held various research, production, and engineering positions of increasing responsibility. He worked in production at both the Wickliffe, KY, and the Evadale, TX mills and spent five years living in Brazil half-time as part of a major mill expansion project that included a new paper machine and a serial #1 patented pulping line which he helped develop.
The award will be presented at TAPPICon, April 30-May 4, 2022 in Charlotte, NC, USA.
About the Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award:
First presented in 1985, the prestigious Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award is TAPPI’s highest technical honor in recognition of an individual’s exceptional industry contributions. It is presented annually only if the individual has made preeminent scientific and engineering achievements of proven commercial benefit to the world’s pulp, paper, board, and forest products industries including forestry, derived products, their process technologies, and their applications.
Inside this Section
- TAPPI Journal Awards Two Best Research Papers for 2020
- New TAPPI Board of Directors and Officers Announced
- TAPPI Announces 2020 Engineering Division Technical Award and Beloit Prize Winner
- TAPPI Academy Announces Addition of Web and Winding Courses to eLearning Offerings
- TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
- Master Papermaking Additives to Gain Competitive Advantage and Better Meet Customers’ Needs
- Film Extrusion Manual, Third Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2020
- TAPPI Awards Highest Honors for 2020
- Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition Now Available From TAPPI Press
- Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Lime Kilns and Recausticizing: The Forgotten Part of a Kraft Mill Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Foundation Awards 2021-2022 Scholarships
- Two Major Training Events for the Pulp and Paper Industry Set for January 10 – 13, 2022 in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Interactive Panel Provides Perspectives on 2025 Sustainability Initiatives In the Flexible Packaging Industry
- Introducing TAPPI’s Newest Directors
- WestRock’s Director-Research and Innovation Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2022 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- John Neun Named Recipient of 2022 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- Paul W. Magnabosco Outstanding Local Section Award
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2022
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Paper for 2021
- Chairman and CEO of Green Bay Packaging Inc. Receives TAPPI/PIMA 2022 Executive of the Year Award
- MICA TO SPONSOR AND PRESENT AT TAPPI'S EXTRUSION COATING COURSE
- New Handbook Assists Paper Mills to Achieve Efficient Operation through Utilization of Process Chemicals
- Innovation to Take Center Stage at Biennial European PLACE Conference
- TAPPI European PLACE Conference Offers Valuable Educational and Networking Opportunities
- Education and Networking to Take Center Stage at Fiberglass Mat Event
- Chemical Recovery in the Alkaline Pulping Processes, Fourth Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Journal Announces New Editorial Board Members
- TAPPI Announces New Directors and Officers of the Board
- North Carolina State University’s Professor and Buckman Distinguished Scientist Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2023 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- Brian N. Brogdon Honored with TAPPI’s 2023 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2023
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Papers for 2022
- President and CEO of Stora Enso Receives TAPPI/PIMA 2023 Executive of the Year Award
- Announcing TAPPI’s CorrExpo 2023 Keynoters: Bob Chapman, Chairman and CEO, Barry-Wehmiller and World-Class Drummer Mark Schulman
- TAPPI’s Women in Industry Division Names Sappi North America’s Vice President of Research, Development and Sustainability and North Carolina State University’s Assistant Dean for Advancement in the College of Natural Resources Recipients of the 2023 Woman
- Announcing TAPPI’s CorrExpo 2023 Box Plant Deal
- Call for Speakers Issued for TAPPI’s 2024 FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI Announces 2023 Award Winners For the Corrugated Packaging Division
- TAPPI Announces CorrExpo 2023 What’s New/Tech Talks Presentations
- Abstracts Sought for TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- Fiberglass Mat Community to Meet October 17-19, 2023 in Chattanooga, TN
- Call for Presentations Extended for TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI Foundation Names 2023-2024 Scholarship Winners
- Corrugated Boot Camp Hosted by Chicago TAPPI Following Annual Board Meeting
- Keynote Speakers Announced for TAPPI’s 2024 FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI/AICC Announce Jake Hall and Greg Gumbel to Keynote at SuperCorrExpo
- Interactive Panel Explores Flexible Packaging’s Challenges and Limitations in Creating More Sustainable Solutions at TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- Early-bird Registration Opens for the 2024 TAPPI International Conference on Nanotechnology for Renewable Materials
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Paper for 2023 and Announces Editorial Board Changes for 2024
- April 2019 Committee of the Month - Runnability Planning Committee
- Mentor Match Signup - Spring 2019
- A Guide to the Nanotechnology used in the Average Home
- 65 North American Companies Remove Go Paperless - Go Green Claims
- 5,000 journals articles and conference papers now available to search
- 2017 starts with sales soaring for paper diaries, notebooks and planners
- 20 never seen before packaging designs
- Better Together Podcast