TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
Media Contact: Mary Beth Cornell, 770-209-7210
ATLANTA (August 24, 2020) -- TAPPI is pleased to announce the endowment of the Honghi Tran TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Prize, a $2,000 cash prize that will be presented annually to the winner of the TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award.
For more than 17 years, the TAPPI Journal (TJ) Editorial Board has honored the best of TJ content by nominating and voting for the TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award which is determined by the scientific merit, innovation, creativity, and clarity of a nominated paper. Honghi Tran, Ph.D. has published more than 80 papers in TJ. He received the 2019 Best Research Paper Award for “The solubility of calcium carbonate in green liquor handling systems” that he co-authored with his University of Toronto colleagues Alisha Gigli and Vladimiros Papangelakis.
A TAPPI member since 1980, Tran received TAPPI’s highest honor, the Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal, in 2017. He is a TAPPI Fellow, PAPTAC Fellow, and a Canadian Academy of Engineering Fellow. He is a professor emeritus for the University of Toronto and was the director of the University’s Pulp and Paper Centre. He is also editor of the recently published Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition and serves as the lead instructor of the TAPPI Kraft Recovery Operations Course.
“As an active contributor to TJ, I always want to see it flourish,” said Tran. “TJ is not only important for the researchers, but is also vital for the technological advancement of the pulp and paper industry. My hope is that the addition of the prize will encourage more researchers and technical personnel working for the industry to submit their research to TJ.”
Prospective authors from academic and research institutions, as well as speakers who present scientific papers at TAPPI conferences, are encouraged to submit their research for peer review and consideration for publication. Submit your abstract today at tappi.org/tjsubmit. The first Honghi Tran TAPPI Journal Best Paper Prize will be presented at TAPPICon, April 25-28, 2021 in Atlanta. Dr. Tran plans to make the presentation himself.
TAPPI is the leading association for the worldwide pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and converting industries and publisher of Paper360°, Tissue360° and TAPPI Journal. Through information exchange, events, trusted content and networking opportunities, TAPPI helps members elevate their performance by providing solutions that lead to better, faster and more cost-effective ways of doing business. It has provided management training and networking to the industry’s leaders for more than 100 years. For more information, visit tappi.org.
Inside this Section
- TAPPI Journal Awards Two Best Research Papers for 2020
- New TAPPI Board of Directors and Officers Announced
- TAPPI Announces 2020 Engineering Division Technical Award and Beloit Prize Winner
- TAPPI Academy Announces Addition of Web and Winding Courses to eLearning Offerings
- TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
- Master Papermaking Additives to Gain Competitive Advantage and Better Meet Customers’ Needs
- Film Extrusion Manual, Third Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2020
- TAPPI Awards Highest Honors for 2020
- Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition Now Available From TAPPI Press
- Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Lime Kilns and Recausticizing: The Forgotten Part of a Kraft Mill Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Industry News
- April 2019 Committee of the Month - Runnability Planning Committee
- Mentor Match Signup - Spring 2019
- A Guide to the Nanotechnology used in the Average Home
- 65 North American Companies Remove Go Paperless - Go Green Claims
- 5,000 journals articles and conference papers now available to search
- 2017 starts with sales soaring for paper diaries, notebooks and planners
- 20 never seen before packaging designs
- Better Together Podcast