Brian N. Brogdon Honored with TAPPI’s 2023 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
(ATLANTA) February 27, 2023 – TAPPI is pleased to announce that Brian N. Brogdon, Ph.D., TAPPI Fellow, has been named winner of the prominent Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Brogdon is the owner and president of Future Bridge Consulting Services, LLC.
Dr. Brogdon earned his Bachelor of Chemical Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1992 with highest honors. He holds a Masters and a Doctorate (with Distinction) from the Institute of Paper Science and Technology (IPST).
In 1997, he joined the Paper Product Development/R&D Group of Vinings Industries (now Kemira) where he held various positions, from Senior Research to Principal Scientist until 2007. He collaborated with R&D, marketing, sales, and mill engineers on various specialty chemical applications to improve pulp and paper operations.
A TAPPI member since 1992, Dr. Brogdon has held TAPPI leadership roles within the Southeastern Local Section, the Alkaline Pulping & Bleaching Committee, and the Pulp Manufacturer Division. He has been a member of the TAPPI Journal Editorial Board since 2008 and served a term as the journal’s Editor-in-Chief.
He has also been lead instructor for TAPPI’s Bleach Plant Operations Workshop since 2017, and has had a long history with the TAPPI Pulping Conference (now PEERS) where he first presented an undergraduate research project in 1993 on the kraft pulping of kudzu (Pueraria lobata). He has been involved with the Conference’s Technical Programming Committee since 1997.
Having published over 30 peer-reviewed journal articles and presented more than 60 conference papers, Dr. Brogdon has also written chapters on brownstock washing and pulp bleaching for two TAPPI PRESS publications. He has two US patents and a Canadian patent related to papermaking additives to enhance paper opacity. His main areas of expertise are in chemical pulping, bleaching, brownstock washing, and wood/lignin chemistry.
Dr. Brogdon has received many professional accolades, including the Pulp Manufacturer Division’s Distinguished Service Award and Joseph K. Perkins Prize, the Dave Wetherhorn Award for best Alkaline Pulping and Bleaching Paper (2016 & 2021), the ACS Cellulose, Paper and Textile Division’s Graduate Student Award (1999), and IPST Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award (1996). In the past, he served as an Adjunct Professor in the Pulp & Paper programs at North Carolina State University, the University of Minnesota, and the Institute of Paper Science and Technology.
The award will be officially presented at TAPPICon, April 22-26, 2023 in Atlanta, GA, USA.
About the Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award:
The Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award was established to recognize individuals for voluntary leadership and support. It is the highest honor the Association can bestow upon an individual for exemplary leadership that has significantly contributed to the advancement of the Association.
TAPPI is the leading association for the worldwide pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and converting industries and publisher of Paper360°, Tissue360° and TAPPI Journal. Through information exchange, events, trusted content and networking opportunities, TAPPI helps members elevate their performance by providing solutions that lead to better, faster and more cost-effective ways of doing business. It has provided management training and networking to the industry’s leaders for more than 100 years. For more information, visit TAPPI’s website.
Inside this Section
- TAPPI Journal Awards Two Best Research Papers for 2020
- New TAPPI Board of Directors and Officers Announced
- TAPPI Announces 2020 Engineering Division Technical Award and Beloit Prize Winner
- TAPPI Academy Announces Addition of Web and Winding Courses to eLearning Offerings
- TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
- Master Papermaking Additives to Gain Competitive Advantage and Better Meet Customers’ Needs
- Film Extrusion Manual, Third Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2020
- TAPPI Awards Highest Honors for 2020
- Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition Now Available From TAPPI Press
- Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Lime Kilns and Recausticizing: The Forgotten Part of a Kraft Mill Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Foundation Awards 2021-2022 Scholarships
- Two Major Training Events for the Pulp and Paper Industry Set for January 10 – 13, 2022 in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Interactive Panel Provides Perspectives on 2025 Sustainability Initiatives In the Flexible Packaging Industry
- Introducing TAPPI’s Newest Directors
- WestRock’s Director-Research and Innovation Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2022 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- John Neun Named Recipient of 2022 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- Paul W. Magnabosco Outstanding Local Section Award
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2022
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Paper for 2021
- Chairman and CEO of Green Bay Packaging Inc. Receives TAPPI/PIMA 2022 Executive of the Year Award
- MICA TO SPONSOR AND PRESENT AT TAPPI'S EXTRUSION COATING COURSE
- New Handbook Assists Paper Mills to Achieve Efficient Operation through Utilization of Process Chemicals
- Innovation to Take Center Stage at Biennial European PLACE Conference
- TAPPI European PLACE Conference Offers Valuable Educational and Networking Opportunities
- Education and Networking to Take Center Stage at Fiberglass Mat Event
- Chemical Recovery in the Alkaline Pulping Processes, Fourth Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Journal Announces New Editorial Board Members
- TAPPI Announces New Directors and Officers of the Board
- North Carolina State University’s Professor and Buckman Distinguished Scientist Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2023 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- Brian N. Brogdon Honored with TAPPI’s 2023 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2023
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Papers for 2022
- President and CEO of Stora Enso Receives TAPPI/PIMA 2023 Executive of the Year Award
- Announcing TAPPI’s CorrExpo 2023 Keynoters: Bob Chapman, Chairman and CEO, Barry-Wehmiller and World-Class Drummer Mark Schulman
- TAPPI’s Women in Industry Division Names Sappi North America’s Vice President of Research, Development and Sustainability and North Carolina State University’s Assistant Dean for Advancement in the College of Natural Resources Recipients of the 2023 Woman
- Announcing TAPPI’s CorrExpo 2023 Box Plant Deal
- Call for Speakers Issued for TAPPI’s 2024 FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI Announces 2023 Award Winners For the Corrugated Packaging Division
- TAPPI Announces CorrExpo 2023 What’s New/Tech Talks Presentations
- Abstracts Sought for TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- Fiberglass Mat Community to Meet October 17-19, 2023 in Chattanooga, TN
- Call for Presentations Extended for TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI Foundation Names 2023-2024 Scholarship Winners
- Corrugated Boot Camp Hosted by Chicago TAPPI Following Annual Board Meeting
- Keynote Speakers Announced for TAPPI’s 2024 FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI/AICC Announce Jake Hall and Greg Gumbel to Keynote at SuperCorrExpo
- Interactive Panel Explores Flexible Packaging’s Challenges and Limitations in Creating More Sustainable Solutions at TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- Early-bird Registration Opens for the 2024 TAPPI International Conference on Nanotechnology for Renewable Materials
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Paper for 2023 and Announces Editorial Board Changes for 2024
- April 2019 Committee of the Month - Runnability Planning Committee
- Mentor Match Signup - Spring 2019
- A Guide to the Nanotechnology used in the Average Home
- 65 North American Companies Remove Go Paperless - Go Green Claims
- 5,000 journals articles and conference papers now available to search
- 2017 starts with sales soaring for paper diaries, notebooks and planners
- 20 never seen before packaging designs
- Better Together Podcast