Introducing TAPPI’s Newest Directors
Leaders from Graphic Packaging, and Solenis join fellow Directors from Essity, Voith, IP, Gran Bio USA and others
TAPPI’s membership recently elected three industry leaders to serve on its Board of Directors (BOD). Representing a broad swath of industry segments, TAPPI’s volunteer BOD members have successfully guided the policies and general affairs of the Association throughout the course of its 107-year history. The Board consist of a Chair, Vice Chair, and nine Directors. Its past and present list of Directors spotlights a long line of industry icons.
Meet the newest Directors on the TAPPI Board.
Lawrence Anker, Ph.D.
Anker is currently the Director of Commercial Operations for Solenis. He earned a B.S. in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics at Washington and Lee University in 1986 and his Ph.D. in Chemistry at Penn State University in 1992. He began his professional career in the paper industry at International Paper’s Erie Research Center in the corporate papermaking process chemistry group. In 1998, he moved to Ashland’s Drew Industrial Research Center. Anker has held various positions in his 23 years at Ashland/Solenis including polymer chemistry group leader, applications lab manager, field applications group leader and functional chemistry applications group leader.
Anker was awarded a Fulbright Fellowship in 1987 and was selected as a TAPPI Fellow in 2012. He is the former chair of the TAPPI Paper and Board Division, as well as the Additives committee, and served as chair of the Centennial Celebration Steering Committee (PaperCon 2015). He is an active member of the Student Summit Steering Committee and is a current instructor for TAPPI’s Introduction to Wet End Chemistry course. Anker will serve a three-year term on the Board.
Farrell is the Executive Vice President (EVP) of the Mill Division at Graphic Packaging. In this role, he is responsible for eight paper mills, four integrated virgin mills and four recycled mills totaling 4.2 million tons of annual production. He is also responsible for Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E) affairs and Open Market sales.
Farrell has been in leadership positions with Graphic Packaging for 15 years. After starting his career as General Manager of the Middletown, Ohio mill, he moved to Sr. Manufacturing Manager at the West Monroe, LA mill. In 2013, he assumed the role of VP, Recycled Board Mills. In January 2018, Farrell was appointed Senior Vice President, Supply Chain, and was then promoted to EVP Mill Division in Sept 2018. Prior to Graphic Packaging, Farrell worked for The Newark Group in their mill division for 13 years in mill management roles.
He holds a degree in Pulp and Paper Engineering Technology from Sault College and an MBA from Xavier University. Farrell is also an adjunct professor at Western Michigan University (WMU) and the current president of the WMU Paper Technology Foundation. He was elected to serve a three-year term on TAPPI’s Board.
Kim Nelson, Ph.D.
Nelson, Chief Technology Officer for Nanocellulose at GranBio USA, was initially slated to retire from the Board in 2022, but was elected for an additional term to be completed by March 2023. Nelson has more than 15 years of experience in the pulp, paper and biorefinery sectors, including process and product development, scale-up, commercialization, manufacturing, environmental health and safety and regulations. She holds 19 patents and over 50 patents pending in biorefinery processes and nanocellulose. She holds a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology and an M.S. in Pulp & Paper Science & Engineering from the Institute of Paper Science and Technology.
After participating in TAPPI’s Student Conference in 2001, Nelson joined TAPPI as a Student Member. Since that time, she has served on five committees within the Nanotechnology and Women in Industry Divisions.
Meet the Rest of the TAPPI Board
James R. Haeffele, Chair, Essity
Donald Haag, Vice Chair, Retired, PCA
Larry N. Montague, President and CEO, TAPPI
Karyn L. Biasca, University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point. 2021-2024
Suzanne Blanchet, S.L.B. Inc. 2021-2024
David Buchanan, Voith Group, North America. 2021-2024
Andrew Jones, International Paper 2020-2023
Mark Keaten, GAF 2020-2023
Rory Wolf, Retired, ITW Pillar Technologies 2020-2023
TAPPI is the leading association for the worldwide pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and converting industries and publisher of Paper360°, Tissue360° and TAPPI Journal. Through information exchange, events, trusted content and networking opportunities, TAPPI helps members elevate their performance by providing solutions that lead to better, faster and more cost-effective ways of doing business. It has provided management training and networking to the industry’s leaders for almost 100 years. For more information, visit TAPPI’s website.
Inside this Section
- TAPPI Journal Awards Two Best Research Papers for 2020
- New TAPPI Board of Directors and Officers Announced
- TAPPI Announces 2020 Engineering Division Technical Award and Beloit Prize Winner
- TAPPI Academy Announces Addition of Web and Winding Courses to eLearning Offerings
- TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
- Master Papermaking Additives to Gain Competitive Advantage and Better Meet Customers’ Needs
- Film Extrusion Manual, Third Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2020
- TAPPI Awards Highest Honors for 2020
- Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition Now Available From TAPPI Press
- Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Lime Kilns and Recausticizing: The Forgotten Part of a Kraft Mill Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Foundation Awards 2021-2022 Scholarships
- Two Major Training Events for the Pulp and Paper Industry Set for January 10 – 13, 2022 in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Interactive Panel Provides Perspectives on 2025 Sustainability Initiatives In the Flexible Packaging Industry
- Introducing TAPPI’s Newest Directors
- WestRock’s Director-Research and Innovation Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2022 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- John Neun Named Recipient of 2022 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- Paul W. Magnabosco Outstanding Local Section Award
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2022
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Paper for 2021
- Chairman and CEO of Green Bay Packaging Inc. Receives TAPPI/PIMA 2022 Executive of the Year Award
- MICA TO SPONSOR AND PRESENT AT TAPPI'S EXTRUSION COATING COURSE
- New Handbook Assists Paper Mills to Achieve Efficient Operation through Utilization of Process Chemicals
- Innovation to Take Center Stage at Biennial European PLACE Conference
- TAPPI European PLACE Conference Offers Valuable Educational and Networking Opportunities
- Education and Networking to Take Center Stage at Fiberglass Mat Event
- Chemical Recovery in the Alkaline Pulping Processes, Fourth Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Journal Announces New Editorial Board Members
- TAPPI Announces New Directors and Officers of the Board
- North Carolina State University’s Professor and Buckman Distinguished Scientist Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2023 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- Brian N. Brogdon Honored with TAPPI’s 2023 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2023
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Papers for 2022
- President and CEO of Stora Enso Receives TAPPI/PIMA 2023 Executive of the Year Award
- Announcing TAPPI’s CorrExpo 2023 Keynoters: Bob Chapman, Chairman and CEO, Barry-Wehmiller and World-Class Drummer Mark Schulman
- TAPPI’s Women in Industry Division Names Sappi North America’s Vice President of Research, Development and Sustainability and North Carolina State University’s Assistant Dean for Advancement in the College of Natural Resources Recipients of the 2023 Woman
- Announcing TAPPI’s CorrExpo 2023 Box Plant Deal
- Call for Speakers Issued for TAPPI’s 2024 FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI Announces 2023 Award Winners For the Corrugated Packaging Division
- TAPPI Announces CorrExpo 2023 What’s New/Tech Talks Presentations
- Abstracts Sought for TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- Fiberglass Mat Community to Meet October 17-19, 2023 in Chattanooga, TN
- Call for Presentations Extended for TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI Foundation Names 2023-2024 Scholarship Winners
- Corrugated Boot Camp Hosted by Chicago TAPPI Following Annual Board Meeting
- Keynote Speakers Announced for TAPPI’s 2024 FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI/AICC Announce Jake Hall and Greg Gumbel to Keynote at SuperCorrExpo
- Interactive Panel Explores Flexible Packaging’s Challenges and Limitations in Creating More Sustainable Solutions at TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- Early-bird Registration Opens for the 2024 TAPPI International Conference on Nanotechnology for Renewable Materials
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Paper for 2023 and Announces Editorial Board Changes for 2024
- April 2019 Committee of the Month - Runnability Planning Committee
- Mentor Match Signup - Spring 2019
- A Guide to the Nanotechnology used in the Average Home
- 65 North American Companies Remove Go Paperless - Go Green Claims
- 5,000 journals articles and conference papers now available to search
- 2017 starts with sales soaring for paper diaries, notebooks and planners
- 20 never seen before packaging designs
- Better Together Podcast