Member Stories from TAPPI President & CEO.
There are two types of people in this industry, TAPPI members and those who should be.
Read and share the latest article from Larry N. Montague, TAPPI’s President and CEO, as he gets insight and talks with members from some of the leading companies in our industry.
Travels with Larry 'Featured Travel'
I recently read this story, centuries ago, when a mapmaker would run out of the known world before he ran out of parchment, he would frequently draw a dragon at the edge of the scroll. This was intended as a sign to explorers that they were entering unknown territory at their own risk. Many, however, did not regard the dragon as a mapmaker’s warning sign but instead as a prophecy. They foresaw disaster beyond the known worlds they traversed, and their fear kept them from pushing on to discover new lands and peoples. Other more adventuresome travelers, however, saw the dragon as a sign of opportunity and a doorway to new worlds worth exploring.
Lawton Roberts, our COO, and I visited a company that is obviously in category #2 of the explorers.
That company is SUN Automation Group®. They are located on thirty-five acres of land currently housing a 183,000 Sq Ft Facility and zoned for over 60% growth on the property. Sun Automation Group’s headquarters is in Glen Arm, MD. SUN incorporated in 1985 and continuously adds to its product lines, partnerships, and people. SUN is proud of its accomplishments but refuses to stop knowing they can help more customers.
In addition, SUN has international facilities in Asia (Sun Automation Guangzhou Co., Ltd. Guangzhou, China) and the United Kingdom (SUN UK, Sales Office Bristol England). As of now, these facilities support customers and equipment in over 60 countries around the globe.
Amazingly, they have over 20,000 (11,500 of those are feeders) installations worldwide and counting.
These folks really do Own Their Future. They are 100% employee owned.
Expansion and growth allowed SUN to pay off a 20-year mortgage in just 5 years. Now that makes a lot of business sense for sure.
The employee/owners will sell over $100 million in machinery and parts this year and have zero debt.
They have a massive (340,000 sku’s) parts inventory as well as some extremely advanced machines such as the SUN625 Rotary Die Cutter.
Another great innovation is SUN Retrofits “Cover All Surfaces” with inside printing which allow printing on both sides in a single pass. This allows custom messages and branding and converts corrugated board into eye-catching displays.
One of the latest advanced technology systems is Helios powered by SUN allowing its customers to see potential issues with machines and remedy these issues while the impact is minimal. This machine learning/IIoT offering is an incredible asset to all converting customers as this platform is OEM agnostic.
SUN doesn’t stop after the sale, SUN Aftermarket Services include Parts, Service and Engineering to support all their equipment around the globe.
Their strong partnerships include, PARA, Highcon, Domino, LMC as well are proud members of; AICC, TAPPI, FBA, ACCCSA, and FEFCO.
We had the pleasure of meeting some of their owners:
Dawn Marmaras-Sr Sales Coordinator, Aaron Schlothauer-VP Engineering, Jeffery Smith-VP Administrative Services, HR, Safety, IT and Facilities, Tom West-Environmental, Health & Safety Coordinator, Patricia Carner-Sr. VP Operations, Steven Clarke-VP Finance, Gokul Gopakumar- VP- Technology and Business Development, Frank Reynolds-Director of Sales, Joe Porcella-Special Projects Engineer, Greg Jones-Executive Vice President.
We spoke with several employees who came from other industries who were recruited to fill some positions at SUN. When asked why they chose SUN, there was a common theme that ran throughout their answers. Mutual Respect for all team members, an authentic collaborative environment, a pride in the work being done, healthy company culture, and genuine acceptance.
Folks I do not know about you, but this sounds like a wonderful place to be employed.
And guess what? They are hiring.
For more information on SUN Automation please go to www.sunautomation.com
Remember there are two types of people in this industry, TAPPI members and those who should be.
Until next time…………………….Larry
Travels with Larry Archive
Read all the articles from past Travels with Larry
Inside this Section
- TAPPI Journal Awards Two Best Research Papers for 2020
- New TAPPI Board of Directors and Officers Announced
- TAPPI Announces 2020 Engineering Division Technical Award and Beloit Prize Winner
- TAPPI Academy Announces Addition of Web and Winding Courses to eLearning Offerings
- TAPPI Announces Cash Prize to Accompany TAPPI Journal Best Research Paper Award
- Master Papermaking Additives to Gain Competitive Advantage and Better Meet Customers’ Needs
- Film Extrusion Manual, Third Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2020
- TAPPI Awards Highest Honors for 2020
- Guidelines for Safe Assessment and Operation of Yankee Dryers Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Kraft Recovery Boilers, Third Edition Now Available From TAPPI Press
- Black Liquor Evaporation Now Available from TAPPI Press
- Lime Kilns and Recausticizing: The Forgotten Part of a Kraft Mill Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Foundation Awards 2021-2022 Scholarships
- Two Major Training Events for the Pulp and Paper Industry Set for January 10 – 13, 2022 in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Interactive Panel Provides Perspectives on 2025 Sustainability Initiatives In the Flexible Packaging Industry
- Introducing TAPPI’s Newest Directors
- WestRock’s Director-Research and Innovation Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2022 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- John Neun Named Recipient of 2022 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- Paul W. Magnabosco Outstanding Local Section Award
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2022
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Paper for 2021
- Chairman and CEO of Green Bay Packaging Inc. Receives TAPPI/PIMA 2022 Executive of the Year Award
- MICA TO SPONSOR AND PRESENT AT TAPPI'S EXTRUSION COATING COURSE
- New Handbook Assists Paper Mills to Achieve Efficient Operation through Utilization of Process Chemicals
- Innovation to Take Center Stage at Biennial European PLACE Conference
- TAPPI European PLACE Conference Offers Valuable Educational and Networking Opportunities
- Education and Networking to Take Center Stage at Fiberglass Mat Event
- Chemical Recovery in the Alkaline Pulping Processes, Fourth Edition Now Available from TAPPI Press
- TAPPI Journal Announces New Editorial Board Members
- TAPPI Announces New Directors and Officers of the Board
- North Carolina State University’s Professor and Buckman Distinguished Scientist Named Recipient of TAPPI’s 2023 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- Brian N. Brogdon Honored with TAPPI’s 2023 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- TAPPI Selects Fellows and Outstanding Young Professionals for 2023
- TAPPI Journal Awards Best Research Papers for 2022
- President and CEO of Stora Enso Receives TAPPI/PIMA 2023 Executive of the Year Award
- Announcing TAPPI’s CorrExpo 2023 Keynoters: Bob Chapman, Chairman and CEO, Barry-Wehmiller and World-Class Drummer Mark Schulman
- TAPPI’s Women in Industry Division Names Sappi North America’s Vice President of Research, Development and Sustainability and North Carolina State University’s Assistant Dean for Advancement in the College of Natural Resources Recipients of the 2023 Woman
- Announcing TAPPI’s CorrExpo 2023 Box Plant Deal
- Call for Speakers Issued for TAPPI’s 2024 FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI Announces 2023 Award Winners For the Corrugated Packaging Division
- TAPPI Announces CorrExpo 2023 What’s New/Tech Talks Presentations
- Abstracts Sought for TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- Fiberglass Mat Community to Meet October 17-19, 2023 in Chattanooga, TN
- Call for Presentations Extended for TAPPI’s FlexPack PLACE Conference
- TAPPI Foundation Names 2023-2024 Scholarship Winners
- Corrugated Boot Camp Hosted by Chicago TAPPI Following Annual Board Meeting
- April 2019 Committee of the Month - Runnability Planning Committee
- Mentor Match Signup - Spring 2019
- A Guide to the Nanotechnology used in the Average Home
- 65 North American Companies Remove Go Paperless - Go Green Claims
- 5,000 journals articles and conference papers now available to search
- 2017 starts with sales soaring for paper diaries, notebooks and planners
- 20 never seen before packaging designs
- Better Together Podcast